Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Future of America

This morning, I had to arrive at school 30 minutes early for "duty."  My particular duty involved sitting in the front lobby of our school (which houses an elementary, middle, and high school) and basically greeting everyone who comes in.

About two or three weeks ago, a sign was posted to one of the front doors that looks pretty much exactly like this:
The door that this sign was placed on is now locked, and students can only enter through the "other door."  The sign is large and easy to read.

Yesterday, I had the same duty and was astounded at how many people tried to open this clearly labeled and locked door.  So today I decided to count them.

Out of the 34 kids that I saw enter the building, 16 of them tried to open this door.
16.
That's almost half, people!  Keep in mind, these kids have been coming in through these labeled doors for weeks.  It really leaves me speechless.



Ok, not speechless. But I seriously worry about these kids' futures.  Oh, and if you're wondering why there were only 34 kids entering a K-12 educational establishment, then you must not know my story.  Just give me a handle of vodka and 3 hours of your time and I'll be glad to fill you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment