Monday, March 28, 2011

READ A SIGN!

This will be quick because I'm about to have 17 instrumentalists run into my room, but I just had to VENT.

There are many faculty/staff bathrooms placed around the building.
  • Each of these is unisex.  
  • Each of these can only be opened with a key.  
  • Each of these, when unlocked, displays a sign that reads "VACANT."
  • Each of these has a lock that when turned, automatically displays an "OCCUPIED" sign on the outside of the door.  
Let me break this down a little more.  The ONLY WAY to display the OCCUPIED sign is to be INSIDE the bathroom and LOCK the door.
So here I am, running to the bathroom before class starts.  The sign reads VACANT.  I unlock the door with my key. I flip the lock, thus turning the sign to read OCCUPIED."  I begin doing what we do in a bathroom, and I hear someone beginning to attempt to unlock the door.  Keep in mind that the sign reads OCCUPIED.  I don't say anything, because I figure they'll figure out soon enough why they are unable to unlock the door.

NOPE.

They now begin jiggling their key in the lock as if the ONLY reason they can't open the door is that they're not twisting and turning their key in just the right way.  This begins to make me nervous (I have nightmares about being in the faculty bathroom and the door swinging open during a class change) so I quickly finish up.  Not to be a quitter, this person KNOCKS ON THE DOOR!  I reply "YESSSSSSSS???" as I'm washing my hands.    Most people would walk away at this point.  Most people would get the drift.  Most people would find one of the other TWENTY EMPTY BATHROOMS.

NOPE.

THEY PUT THEIR KEY BACK IN THE LOCK AS IF TO SAY "THERE'S NO WAY THAT A HUMAN IS INSIDE THIS BATHROOM! IT MUST BE A TRICK!"

That's all.  I washed and dried my hands and by the time I opened the door they were gone.  I just can't believe people's stupidity sometimes.  I really can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment